Are you the creative and innovative senior scientist focused on rumen biology with experience in molecular biology and anaerobic microbiology? Do you want to join our growing team of researchers focused on developing innovative solutions to mitigate enteric methane emissions and fight antimicrobial resistance in livestock to generate healthy, safe and sustainable protein for human nutrition?
Then join MOOTRAL, a British-Swiss biotechnology company that develops innovative, scalable, and sustainable solutions for the agricultural systems of tomorrow. We pride ourselves on developing innovative solutions for companies and governments to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and the usage of antibiotics in the agricultural sector.
For our R&D team, we are looking for an innovative Senior Scientist with strong experience in both rumen- and molecular biology.
- You will as a Senior Scientist develop innovative solutions by undertaking R&D projects with a specific focus on anaerobic microbiology and molecular biology of the rumen ecosystem and methanogenesis in dairy and beef cattle and other ruminants.
- You will lead R&D projects independently in all phases of the research process, from generating new ideas, up to presenting results.
- You will translate research findings into science and practical solutions
- You will generate new ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, improve protocols, processes, and equipment.
- You will train and develop technicians and research scientists.
- You will provide technical and scientific guidance for project/product and development as a subject matter expert.
- You will communicate progress, deviations, and interim results to the R&D team.
- You will collaborate with our PMO to deliver project plans, tracking and progress reports.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Veterinary or Animal Science or a closely related field.
- Profound knowledge in the biology of the microbial ecosystem including methanogenesis in dairy and beef cattle and other ruminants.
- Experience with measuring effects of rumen modifiers (e.g. natural plant extracts, prebiotica, probiotica) on rumen microbiome applying microbiology and molecular biology techniques.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Highly motivated with intellectual curiosity and rigor.
- Ability to plan own work, manage multiple tasks and projects and deliver against deadlines.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with team spirit.
- Able to write scientific articles at a quality/level suitable for publication in peer reviewed journals.
- Drug screen development and small molecule screening.
- Patent application process.
- Experience managing and training junior staff and technicians.
- Experience of project management methods and tools.
- Competitive remuneration including 5% employer contribution to pension scheme.
- A great team with many opportunities for career and personal development.
The role of Senior Scientist is required to be based at our R&D team in Abertillery near the Cardiff area in Wales, UK.